• admin

Count on Chris for Resources You Need Before, During & After a Storm

Updated: Sep 5, 2019

September 10th marks the height of the hurricane season which continues through November 30th. Now is the time to be that you know your zone and ensure that your are properly prepared. Find out what zone your home is in and utilize all of the preparation resources at KnowYourZone before a storm arises. To ensure you have quick access to updates and contact information you may need during or after a storm, we have compiled a full list of state and local resources for you.

Important Local Contact Information

Local Closing Resources

WAVY - Closings

WTKR - Closings

WVEC - Closings

Local Emergency Shelter, Parking & Alerts


Virginia Beach

National Weather Service - Wakefield Latest Briefing

The National Weather Service - Wakefield Office prepares full briefings multiple times per day as a weather event develops. Please visit NWS-Wakefields Briefing Page for the latest local storm information.

Sewells Point Water Level Forecast Comparison

For the latest tide and flood stage forecasts, visit

Virginia Department of Emergency Management

Make A Plan

Use VDEM's Emergency Preparedness Handbook to prepare your family and property. Download the handbook at

Flood Safety - Before & After a Flood

Get the facts on what to do before and after a flooding event at

Virginia Department of Transportation

Citizens are encouraged to limit travel during inclement weather and utilize the following tools provided by the Virginia Department of Transportation:

· Residents should report any problems such as flooding, downed trees, or road hazards to VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or by visiting

· Statewide and local traffic conditions are available by calling 511 (dial or say nine to go straight to Hampton Roads info), visiting or downloading the free mobile app at the 511 website.


For Norfolk storm-related updates and information, go to or sign up for Norfolk Alerts at You can also follow us on Facebook at or Twitter at @NorfolkVA.

Important contact information:

For storm-related inquiries or to report downed trees or other storm-related damage, including downed power lines or flooded and impassable streets, call the Norfolk Cares Center at (757) 664-6510.

Virginia Beach:

For Virginia Beach storm-related updates and information, go to or sign up for Virginia Beach Alerts by texting VBAlert to 67283 or go online at to register.

Consider Adopt A Drain in your neighborhood to make sure all visible impediments are removed. If the water doesn't drain after the rain subsides, report street flooding and drains that require maintenance by calling (757) 385‐1470 or 311 or make a service request online at or through the VB Works app, available for iPhone and Android.


Dominion Energy - 866-366-4357

Virginia Natural Gas - 1-877-572-3342

Cox Communications - 1-757-224-1111

Direct TV -

Verizon Fios -

SCC Encourages Virginians to Review Their Property Coverage Before a Hurricane or other Disaster Strikes

RICHMOND – As Hurricane Dorian churns toward Florida, the State Corporation Commission’s (SCC) Bureau of Insurance reminds Virginians that late August to early October is often the most dangerous and active time for tropical storm activity. Plan now and make certain you are properly insured before disaster strikes.

Hurricane season officially runs from June 1 to November 30. Even areas hundreds of miles from the coast can be impacted by the high winds, heavy rains and flooding that accompany hurricanes and tropical storms. It will be difficult to get related coverage once a hurricane develops in the Atlantic so whether you are a homeowner, renter or business, review your coverage now and make any necessary changes.

“Don’t wait until it’s too late to protect yourself and your property from a hurricane or other natural disaster. Take steps now to protect yourself physically and financially,” said Virginia Insurance Commissioner Scott A. White. “Know your risk and make sure you have the coverage you need before a storm begins to brew.”

The Bureau encourages Virginians to talk to your insurance agent or company if you have questions about what is and is not covered, how to reduce property damage and what to do if damage does occur.

Most homeowners and renters insurance policies do not cover losses due to flooding. Talk to your insurance agent about flood insurance or visit the National Flood Insurance Program’s website at to learn more about protecting your home or business from damage due to floods, surface water or storm surge. There is typically a 30-day waiting period for a new flood insurance policy to take effect.

Create a detailed inventory list with photos, videos and serial numbers of your belongings. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) offers a free smartphone app – myHOME – to facilitate this process. Place your insurance policies and inventory in a safe place and take them with you if you must evacuate. These records will contain your policy numbers and the phone numbers of your insurance companies in case you have questions or need to file a claim.

If your property is damaged by a hurricane, contact your insurance agent or insurance company as soon as possible. To protect your property from any further damage, make necessary emergency repairs. Document all damage to your property and include photographs, notes and repair-related receipts.

The Bureau also encourages policyholders to consider the following:

  • Does your homeowners policy contain a special deductible for wind or hurricane losses? These deductibles are applied separately from any other deductible on a homeowners policy and may be written as a flat amount, such as $1,000, or applied to a loss as a percentage of the insurance coverage on the dwelling.

  • Does your homeowners policy provide coverage for such things as sewer backup? Most homeowners policies do not provide coverage for sewer backup, but policyholders may purchase additional coverage for this.

  • Are vehicles covered in the event of a hurricane or windstorm? If you have other- than-collision coverage (often referred to as “comprehensive”) for your vehicle under your automobile policy, your vehicles generally will be covered for flood and wind damage.

The Bureau of Insurance has specially trained staff who can assist consumers with their insurance-related questions and concerns. To learn more, contact the Bureau of Insurance Property and Casualty Division toll-free at 1-877-310-6560 or in Richmond at (804) 371-9185. The Bureau also offers free consumer guides for homeowners and commercial property owners with information about what to do when a disaster strikes. These are available on the new disaster readiness section of its website at